Amazon Rainforest Dying

Forest clearing in the Amazon, Brazil has boomed this year. New data shows damage to the Amazon rainforest, Brazil increased by six fold. Recent satellite images released by the Brazilian Institute for Space Research showed deforestation increased from 103 sq km in March and April 2010 to 593 square miles in the same period in 2011.

Amazon Rainforest
Amazon Rainforest

Most of the deforestation occurred in the State of Mato Grosso, the center of soybean farming in Brazil. The bad news comes shortly before a vote in congress convening of the laws of the new forest protection. Brazilian Environment Minister Izabella Texeira said immediately respond to this disagreeable news.

"Our goal is to reduce deforestation in July," Texeira said in a news conference.

December last year a government report said that the rate of Amazon deforestation reached its lowest point for 22 years. Thus, observers guessed, these new figures make the government by surprise.

Changes in law
This new data appears in the current debate in the lower house of congress about whether forest protection laws that exist today should be relaxed. Brazilian forestry legislation issued in 1934 and amended in 1965 to set how much forest is able to open a farmer.

The current rules require that 80% of the forest must be maintained in the Amazon region but in fact in some of the remaining forest sites only 20% only. Proponents say the law changes the old rules are inhibiting economic growth and the Brazilian states should increase their agricultural land.

However, environmental activists fear the plan change has resulted in massive forest destruction. Proposed changes to the legislation proposed Chairman of the Communist Party of Brazil Aldo Rebelo and supported a group of congressional politicians who want Brazil to develop its agriculture sector.

You can try amazon river trips or amazon rain forest brazil tour for see how beautiful the amazon jungle, so there will be a feeling of wanting to preserve the Amazon forest. Destruction of the rainforest is not be underestimated again on this earth. Not just in the amazon jungle, but in the rain forest in the world. Saving the rainforest is obligatory.